Where do I send your free 30-minute audio ‘Do You Have Trouble Saying No?’
to show you how to assert firm boundaries with confidence PLUS your POWER List—over 1,200 words and phrases to add influence to your language and quickly attract attention? ALSO receive more tips in my bi-monthly eZine and unsubscribe at any time.
Positive Linking eZine: September 30, 2016
Volume 140 | 30 September 2016
Hello there %$firstname$%,
Well goodness me, here comes October and Q4 with all the implications that has for corporate women. Questions like “What does my year-end review look like? How will my 2017 plans start to shape up? Will I get that pay review I know I deserve?” are all on the tips of tongues at the moment.
It’s a time of twists and turns too here at Sparkle Central. Next week is my Event 2.0 after the dramatic cancellation of the June Event due to my contracting labrynthitis. I can’t believe we’ve pulled it all together and are nearly full with only 4 months of time. It just shows what being intentional and letting go of perfection can do for you. It’s also is a testament to faith and trust – both from me and my team and from those many women who’ve registered or re-registered. It’s exciting mixed with a little scary %$firstname$% which is, as they say, “right where you need to be Kay”.
Last week I hosted a Day of Magic with a group of VIP clients inside my Golden Circle – it was so special and intense. Like life, it was full of the emotional roller coasters we ride with decisions, tears, laughter and strategy in equal measures! It was a very light practice run for hosting a 3-day Event.
Snowy and I raised a glass this weekend to our much missed first hound – Bolly. We had to have him put to sleep a year ago this weekend and it was bittersweet to realise how much has happened, how Jeffrey has joined our pack in all his splendour and how the cycle and circle continues. I’m sharing an article I wrote last year with you below in the Top Takeaway. It’s as relevant today as it was when I wrote it last year. Bolly taught us so much.
Here’s the thing, no matter how painful, now matter how grim, unfair, upsetting or just plain tough things are, we can always take the lessons and make them mean something for ourselves to grow wiser and stronger AND for us to share with others. That’s my spin on things and, as I limber up and pack up my sparkly bits and pieces, I’m gently packing all the lessons I’ve learned to share too.
Thank you for taking the time to read this eZine as I’m sure you have so much vying for your attention. I hope the ideas and suggestions help you reflect and to show up, sparkle and be heard even more at work.
Warm and ever-sparkly wishes %$firstname$%,
Let’s connect even more
PS – Oscar Wilde Said it best, %$firstname$% when he said “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Enough said.
Show Up, Sparkle & Be Heard ™
3-Day LIVE Event 2016 – The 2.0 Version
>>>>Are you meant to be with us?
This is a unique opportunity for corporate women, just like you, to work out how to attract more income AND opportunities to lead with your value – without having to sell your soul.
Women from industries such as Banking, Insurance, IT, Asset Management, Hospitality, Accountancy, Law, Compliance are already joining us and – so can you!
There’s never been a better time to be a woman in business stepping up and going for what you want. To attract and leverage opportunities for promotion, recognition, rewards you need to take a stand for yourself and assert yourself – and you must do it in a way, which is true to yourself.
Take some time for yourself and press ‘Pause’ on your day-to-day ‘To Do’ list by joining us, live and in London, to consider, plan and position yourself for more purposeful – and accelerated – career success at work. On your terms.
Being so ill back in June and deciding to reschedule was a BIG decision but one which just felt right. IF I host this Event again, it won’t be until October 2017 so if you’re wanting career acceleration and confidence boosting strategies for work (and your life) then NOW is the time to join us all. You’ll be amazed at what you can make happen in between now and October 2017 with what you’ll learn at the Event.
I encourage you to shift your diary about and join me if you want to:
earn more money AND own your own earning power
be offered more interesting and challenging opportunities in your organisation or industry
AND negotiate for yourself from a position of certainty – let me show you where your own version of ‘sparkle’ can be found, then join me and all the experienced and insightful women you’ll meet at the Event.
>>> Bonus Seat Price: If you use the code: LEMONADE at checkout TODAY, you can take £200 off the seat price.
I only wish I could have gone to an Event like this when I was navigating the choppy waters of my own 20+ year corporate career. As I said,IF I host the Event again it won’t be until at least October 2017. If you need the clarity, certainty and confidence that I know the Event brings forward now – then NOW’s the time. Next week in fact!
Or, in other words – Show Up; Sparkle and Be Heard LIVE.
Here’s a Snapshot of all that’s on offer for you!
7 Career Success Traits Learned from Bollydog
The lessons are everywhere. Just notice.
It may sound whimsical or indulgent to share with you career success traits which I’ve learned from our hound but, I am. On a number of levels, I realise how many lessons we’ve learned having been owned by a dog for over 13 years and also realise what novices we were when we first rescued Bolly (or did he rescue us?) in 2002.
You can see on the day we took him into our home how we all had fewer grey hairs and laughter lines but what a lot of life we would live together.
Lurchers are intensively fit and eager creatures. They’re fast and yet they love nothing more than lazing about after a long walk. What came to me is how they operate on so many levels which have similarity in being successful in your career. At the same time, these traits map into our personal lives too. Success in one without success in the other is a life half lived, in my view.
Let me show you the 7 success traits I’ve learned from Bolly and how they map across into your career:
1. It’s a marathon not a sprint. After intense periods of exercise and activity, take time to rest. Give yourself a break. Don’t just bounce on to the next task or list. Enjoy the satisfaction and reflection of what you’ve achieved or done and drop a gear for a while. Find a sofa.
2. Notice what you notice. Even though we go to the same park most days, as a hound there’s a curiosity and delight in being there each day. Never oh ‘here we go again’ which we can consider being ‘another day at the office’. A hound is always ‘Yay, we’re here. What’s going on I can explore?’ It’s easy to become cynical with a sense of having seen it all before. You haven’t. The landscape’s always changing. Are you noticing what’s going on and moving with the times?
3. Have half and ear and eye open. Always. It’s easy to assume everything’s as it seems. A hound has always got half an ear cocked. We can become complacent and assume all’s well and as it should be. In your career you need to keep an eye on the competition, your colleagues, the market and be part of the conversation rather than closed off. It’s where opportunity and career agility is to be found.
4. Live in the moment more. Seeing the joy from a hound when we come back into a room having only been out for a moment, when the lead comes out or we arrive at a new place is a great reminder of how easy it is for us to be focussing elsewhere and miss the moments happening right now. Being more present at work and at home as your colleagues and family share things with you is so key to connecting. Giving someone the gift of your presence is often hard with so many gizmos available to distract us. We tend to live in the tomorrow rather than the now and we miss so much as a result.
5. Have adventures but know your way home. Going off and chasing a squirrel isn’t necessarily what I mean but as a hound, that’s often what they do. In our careers, playing by the rules, always walking the path and saying the ‘right’ things isn’t where adventure and entrepreneurship is found. I’ve learned by pushing boundaries – your own and other peoples’ – you grow and expand and find more opportunity. Always, however, know where home is. Where your bread’s buttered. Where you’re loved.
6. Read energy, not only the words. As a hound, you don’t really understand words, they’re sounds which is why you can read your shopping list to a hound in a loving, fun voice and they get all excited. At work – and at home – it’s easy to miss what’s going on because you don’t pay attention to the energy people have as they speak. We’re often caught up in words and miss the message of a person’s energy, their body language, their handshake, eye contact. Hounds don’t. They watch you like a hawk and read your energy like a book. At work you can ask yourself “what’s this person’s energy telling me which they’re not saying?” and clues will be there for you to notice.
7. Remain curious and playful. Being up for things, being curious and sometimes silly is both infectious and good for the soul. Yours and the souls of those around you. Asking about people, what’s going on with them, how something’s working, what you can do to help – curiosity is a natural state of learning and so is having fun. Bolly was still playing with his trusty old Meerkat toys and chasing a stick right up to the end of his life. We often forget to be playful and take ourselves far too seriously. You know I don’t mean to be the court jester at work but to loosen up, laugh at yourself, play – and not just to win, just to play.
So, what I realise as I finish writing this is how useful lessons and analogies are everywhere for us to notice. In this case, using the words of a well-known UK advert “Be More Dog” is my message, both to myself and to you.
Do you want to use this article in your eZine or on your website?
Please do but only if you include this complete “blurb” with it: “Article reproduced with permission of Kay White, Savvy & Influential Communication Expert and Mentor at www.kaywhite.com.
Kay shows experienced – and often frustrated – business women (and very smart men) how to be heard and understood by accessorising their day-to-day interactions with subtle, influential phrases and words to make people sit up, listen and take action. Kay’s book, The A to Z of Being Understood is an international #1 Bestseller: http://amzn.to/kTJYdX and helps professionals make their voices heard and their conversations really count.”
To see any previous issues of this eZine or comment on an article, please go to www.kaywhite.com (you’ll find the link to previous eZines on the Blog page, on the right). I’m always interested to hear from you.
Zoe N, IT Exec.
International UK-Based Charity (and Show Up; Sparkle & Be Heard LIVE Participant)
“You can make your day-to-day communication more effective to help you feel more confident and strong.”
“Moving from the corporate world of Financial PR in London, to the not for profit sector in the South West of the UK has been a sea change for me.
Kay’s mentoring helped me get to grips with a totally different set of motivational drivers in the workplace, and build on my shared belief that reciprocation and communication are key to working life successes. The results continue to amaze me! She helped me land a senior role in an internationally active charity whose objectives I am an ardent supporter of.
Kay and what she shares is a constant source of inspiration and so are her insights into how you can make your day-to-day communication more effective to help you feel more confident, valuable and strong.”
Z is for Zoe, Zing, Zenith and, er, Zipperdeedooda!
For 3 more of these sort of positive, punchy and powerful words go to: www.kaywhite.com and find today’s words at the bottom of the page. They’re there to motivate, inspire, compel both you and those around you as you use them every day AND, see below for your Power List.
Spice Up Your Language
As a quick tip to broaden your language and add some spice and variety to it, one of the most powerful – and simple – things is to use more of is your Thesaurus! I use mine all the time. Really – all the time.
It sounds so obvious and in some ways antiquated but if you right-click on your mouse on any computer, it will bring up either the Dictionary or the Thesaurus. Just by using this more you’ll get the meaning behind the words you use and may over-use, find others and juice up your language. It’s a big piece of being noticed and of being more engaging to others.
As a regular business traveller and – when possible – a pleasure traveller too I always roll, rather than fold my clothes. It works on so many levels.
They take up less room so you can take more thing with you, they unroll without fold marks and it’s actually quicker and easier to prepare them for your case. Folding can be fiddly and time-consuming. Rolling is quick and easy. Two great words to recommend something.
Try rolling your clothes %$firstname$%, it really, really works hence it being your savvy style and sparkly soundbite for this Edition. Roll on!
All of my Event clothes will be rolled and ready to go this weekend. Sparkle On!
Known as the Savvy & Influential Communication Expert for Ambitious Women in Business, Kay mentors and coaches professional women who want to attract promotion, recognition and rewards at work without feeling they have to ‘sell their soul’.
Running her own multiple 6-figure coaching & mentoring business for over 10 years, Kay shows her clients, who are corporate career women at all different stages of their careers, how to naturally attract more income and opportunity while being true to themselves.
Kay’s clients learn how to present themselves most effectively at work and to combine strategic, planned career move-making steps with influencing skills. She also teaches compelling and assertive language and powerful mindsets around, for example, money, ambition and worthiness. She draws on her own 20+ years corporate career in the male-dominated world of London insurance broking. Kay started her career at 18 as a Secretary and left as a Director, having also worked for the company in Paris, to start her own coaching business. Some of her ex-colleagues have become clients and Kay still speaks French – now more enthusiastically than fluently.
Hosting an annual 3-day Live Event for corporate career women “Show Up; Sparkle & Be Heard LIVE” Kay encourages and shows women how to be the best, most valuable version of themselves so they’re ready to be paid what their worth and go for what they want with certainty. Crucially too, how to have more ease and more fun as you plan your way forward.
Kay is author of the Number 1 Best-Seller “The A to Z of Being Understood” and you can connect and find out more from Kay at: www.kaywhite.com
Living close to London with sighthounds, Jeffrey, Pharaoh & DeeDee, lots of Kay’s inspiration comes from walking ‘the hounds’ as she calls them – whatever the UK weather – early in the mornings in the local countryside. Kay’s husband says she’s the Pack Leader and he’s part of the pack.